1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"About a Boy" Season One Thread **spoilers**

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Feb 23, 2014.

1. astrohip

astrohip Active Member

Jan 6, 2003
    NBC aired a new pilot last night (Sat Feb 22) after the Olympics, "About a Boy". Based on Nick Hornby's novel, which has already had a movie based on it (2002, Hugh Grant, Toni Collette).

I thought this was good. Especially for a sitcom pilot, which are often the toughest pilots to suffer thru. David Walton plays a great Will Freeman; also has Minnie Driver as the boy's mom (the part Toni Collette played in the movie).

The next episode is Tuesday, which will be its normal night. I have no idea if the pilot is being rerun before then?

The writer is Jason Katims, who has an interesting history of taking successful movies and making TV series from them. He did Friday Night Lights and Parenthood (neither of which I happen to watch).

I have no idea if this will make it, but I'll give credit to NBC for trying again with David Walton. I thought Bent (anyone remember Bent, Spring 2012) and Perfect Couples were decent shows. Bent was really good, but NBC did a poor job promoting it. Walton is one of those guys who plays a certain persona really well.

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    I really liked it. LOL'd a few times.
  3. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Active Member

Aug 22, 2007
    I loved the movie with Hugh Grant. Really like the first ep, so I'm in. I thought I'd missed recording it, but found that I padded the Olympics recording enough that I got the full ep.
  4. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Vegas Boy

Apr 2, 2001
    Leslie Bibb is still hawt.
  5. Bettamojo5

Bettamojo5 Rolling Along

Apr 12, 2004
    Meh, watched it and wasn't really impressed. I doubt it makes it.
  6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    I like Walton and would like to see him on a show that last more than just a few episodes.
    I didn't like Perfect Couples at all, but I liked Bent.
    So far, About a Boy, is just meh. While there's nothing off putting about it, it also doesn't stimulate interest.
  7. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    I liked it. Loved the movie. Obviously, the mother won't be like the one in the movie. That won't work for a series.

The question is if it will have enough storylines. They basically did the whole movie in one episode.

Speaking of which. It was a 24 minute show without commercials. That made it stand out right there.
  8. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    I watched and really enjoyed it. And I also really liked Walton in Bent. I'll definitely check this out and hope it does well, but it's an NBC sitcom, so it's chances aren't very good.
  9. dbranco

dbranco New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    We really enjoyed it, too. Nice chemistry between the guy and the kid.

and fyi - for those who get Cinemax, the movie is airing on that cable channel.
  10. Thom

Thom Active Member

Jun 5, 2000
    I missed the pilot episode. Hope they re-broadcast it.
  11. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista

Nov 22, 2008
    Thanks for the info. I had totally forgotten to record this. I'm a big fan of David Walton. I was upset when Bent and Perfect Couples were canceled. I was thrilled he was on New Girl for awhile too. When I saw this advertised I didn't think the premise sounded great but wanted to check it out anyhow just for the fact that it's him and Driver. I love her too.
  12. late for dinner

late for dinner Past Expiration Date

May 17, 2013
    Really good pilot, we like the actors and the boy is too cute. My favorite part was when the little kid mouthed "no" when his neiighbor asked about his Mom's sex life.
  13. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    We liked it a lot and laughed often. I remember Walton in Bent which we watched (until it became doomed, and then stopped watching). SP set.
  14. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Ha, that's funny. Bent was doomed before NBC ever aired it. They only made six episodes, and by the time they decided to air them, they already knew they weren't making any more. They burned them off quickly, two eps back-to-back for three weeks. Can't remember if it was summer or just late in spring.

Either way, I doubt you started watching, learned it was doomed, and stopped watching. I'll bet you watched all six and stopped because that's all there were.
  15. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Another one I enjoyed.
  16. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    I really loved the book that was the basis for both the film and TV adaptations. I also liked the movie, and found the pilot okay/amusing. Hoping it will gel into a good show; I've been eagerly awaiting this since fall.
  17. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    You can watch it on hulu or nbc.com
  18. mattack

mattack New Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Note that it's Hugh Grant's production company making the show.

I thought it was VERY entertaining. I haven't yet looked on imdb to see if I knew the kid from anywhere else.. he sure SEEMS familiar.. but maybe he's just similar to a lot of little kids in TV shows.. heh.

Minnie Driver sure has grown up since "Circle of Friends".. (yeah, I know, I've seen her in some things since then.)
  19. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Active Member

Oct 6, 2003
    For those who missed the Pilot it can be downloaded FREE from Amazon, VUDU or iTunes currently.
  20. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    No, I watched the first 3 or so episodes, saw the ratings and stopped. I usually watch even though the ratings might be bad, but IRC I had to do some juggling the nights it was on (didn't have my 5 tuner Genie then) and Bent lost because it wasn't going to be on much longer. I had no idea about that with Bent. I really don't pay a whole lot of attention to "insider" stuff before a show airs.