1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ABC's The Glass House -like CBS's Big Brother

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Donbadabon, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Jun 2, 2012 #1 of 62
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    Starts June 18th, unless CBS's lawsuit to block the show is upheld.

Any Big Brother fan's gonna watch this? I will check out an episode or two to see how different it is.

"LOS ANGELES -- CBS sued ABC on Thursday to stop an upcoming reality show that CBS claims is being developed in violation of its copyrights and with secrets obtained from the long-running reality show "Big Brother."

The federal lawsuit seeks an injunction barring ABC from continuing its work or airing "The Glass House," a show that will film and allow viewers to vote off contestants living together in a house.

CBS claims the show copies the formula used for its hit series "Big Brother," and that ABC has hired 19 of the show's former staffers to help make "Glass House."

The lawsuit also names two top "Glass House" producers and an ABC programming executive who worked on "Big Brother," claiming they are violating non-disclosure agreements and giving away secrets of the show to their new employers.

"In copying `Big Brother,' defendants have had an unprecedented and troubling degree of access to CBS's copyrightable expression, as well as CBS's protected trade secrets and other confidential and proprietary information related to the behind-the-scenes development, filming and production of `Big Brother,'" the lawsuit states.

In its lawsuit, CBS claims an unnamed ABC executive instructed others to try to hire as many former "Big Brother" staffers as possible to undercut its competitor.

ABC denied wrongdoing in a statement, calling the lawsuit meritless.

"The differences between `Glass House' and `Big Brother' are both fundamental and obvious," the network wrote in a statement, citing interactive elements, audience participation and new technologies.

It will be up to a federal judge to compare the similarities and differences in the shows and determine if CBS should be given an injunction and potentially millions of dollars in damages.

The lawsuit states many valuable elements of "Big Brother" cannot be gleaned from merely watching the show. The suit says the processes in which story lines are created and challenges are handled involving the filming of contestants around-the-clock are protected by the non-disclosure agreements.

"Many of the `Big Brother' trade secrets were developed because of the series' fast-paced schedule and unique format," the lawsuit states."

2. Jun 2, 2012 #2 of 62
    IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Archeologist

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    I don't really see how there are secrets about how to record and televise people locked in a house.

3. Jun 3, 2012 #3 of 62
    marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Given how every successful reality show on cable has a copycat in six months I don't see the merit of this.

I used to watch bb Australia, uk and us every summer. Was massive chunk of time. Bb uk is now shorter and bb Australia gone so I will check this out. It will be significantly different enough to make it interesting and maybe CBS bb will step up their game. It is a bit tired at this point and I am tired of former houseguest coming back on.

4. Jun 3, 2012 #4 of 62
    sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Hoping that a new show is a drama is like hoping that Congress will do useful work. I saw the title Glass House, assuming it was a made for TV movie, I had some hope that it would be interesting. Oh well, another reality show.

5. Jun 3, 2012 #5 of 62
    tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I'll watch. I enjoy BB so if it's similar with interesting differences, that is a selling point for me. I like reality competition shows and don't get the disdain people have for them. On the other hand, I never watch made for TV movies.

I hope one difference will be that unlike BB, it is in HD.

6. Jun 3, 2012 #6 of 62
    pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    If bb isn't in HD this year, I won't watch.

7. Jun 4, 2012 #7 of 62
    Frylock

Frylock Live Long and Tivo!

Feb 13, 2002
    Round Rock, TX
    I'm in. If it's like BB, why wouldn't I check it out.

I don't blame CBS for trying to stop it. However, I also don't see how CBS will succeed.

8. Jun 4, 2012 #8 of 62
    DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I'll watch. In fact, this publicity is good for ABC as I had never even heard of this show until it was mentioned here as being like BB. And it starts a month before BB starts anyways.

9. Jun 4, 2012 #9 of 62
    Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    We'll check it out. Summer TV selection is bad enough, so I'm open to checking out something offbeat like this. Oh and we watch BB.

(doesn't matter if BB is HD or not, we still watch)

10. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I found that the reality shows I end up really enjoying are where there is a competition in some skill. This included singing, art or special effects makeup. I also like the things that take you into someone's shop and shows the work they are doing such as Dream Machines or Monster Man. I have watched the shows that have people competing over popularity such as Survivor, a Gilligans Island type show and some others but I have given up on the shows that resemble putting a grasshopper in a jar of ants to see what happens type shows.

11. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    The bios are up:

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-glass-house/bios

A little older crowd than Big Brother normally pulls in.

Alex, bail bondsman, 25, Dallas, TX
    Andrea, bookkeeper, age 31, Valencia, CA
    Apollo, poet/author, age 28, Phoenix, AZ
    Ashley, paralegal, age 30, New Orleans, LA
    Erica, cocktail waitress, age 27, Denver, CO
    Gene, stuntman, age 28, Chicago, IL
    Jacob, cook, age 28, Coos Bay, OR
    Jeffrey, receptionist, age 35, Brooklyn, NY
    Joy, nurse, age 27, Fredericksburg, VA
    Kevin, police sergeant, age 33, Toledo, OH
    Melissa, freelance journalist, age 31, Chicago, IL
    Mike, bar mitzvah DJ, age 48, Pembroke, MA
    Robin, blogger, age 43, Washington, DC
    Stephanie, scientist, age 32, Boston, MA

12. andyw715

andyw715 Active Member

Jul 31, 2007
    funny metric #of facebook friends

13. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
  14. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    BB Australia returns this year.

15. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Interesting. One complaint about big brother from the older skewer forum fans here and elsewhere is having too young a cast and anyone over 30 being treated like the old guy.

As for aussie bb coming back eff me. I used to spend 150 days from the launch of bb au until the finale of bb us. This was before more summer tv shows and Showtime after dark.

That being said bb uk is like ten weeks now. I know one season it was like 105 days which is crazy. I will certainly check it out. The problem you saw in bb1 here and in other countries is fans tend to vote out the interesting people.

That being said bb uk winner Aaron last year was one of my favorites of all time perhaps behind only Dr. Will here.

16. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    On a somewhat related note: if anyone could sue, it would be NBC and The Voice suing Fox and The Choice. I say that as someone who has never watched The Voice and only one episode of The Choice (that was enough). They both have spinning chairs, and they both have celebrities picking contestants site unseen for their "team" and they both have elimination rounds to narrow down the contestants.

But really, who cares?

17. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    It will be really interesting to see if this works here because it is so similar to BB1, which mostly flopped and had to be re-worked to make it more interesting and realizing the public voting doesn't also necessarily make for good TV.

18. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I'm surprised CBS didn't sue CMT as well for their Survivor ripoff, Redneck Island.

19. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    I like BB so I'll end up watching. I have found that BB seems to have 'settled' down and the house guests are not as wild and crazy as they were a couple years ago and other than the language, even the Showtime Afterdark episodes are not as entertaining as the earlier seasons of BB. The guests seem to be more aware of the cameras and the 'real' time while in the house. It would be better if they did not know when SAD was broadcasting.

20. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I watched the beginning rounds of The Voice, and the first episode of The Choice. The Choice is just lame, and it's an end-to-end show in one hour. Fox just did the spinning chairs and sound-alike name to "mimic" The Voice, but it's certainly a completely different show.

I'll probly watch Glass House, at least to start.