1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ABC - What is ((AD?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I was watching a couple of ABC shows tonight and I noticed that at the beginning on the bottom of the screen they had a bug that showed ((AD. I'm guess it's for some sound format like DolbyDigital. Anyone know what that is?
  2. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I didn't notice any audio changes, just the "bug" on the screen. Interesting. My receiver still said Dolby Digital, so I thought perhaps Dolby was changing the name of Dolby Digital.

3. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    I agree, annoying. Whenever it beeps I reach for my phone before I realize it is the tv.
  4. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    You won't. As noted in the other thread, it is to indicate Audio Description for the vision impaired. It's audio that is carried on the SAP channel, in which a narrarator describes stuff that is going on visually.
  5. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Fox and NBC use a different logo that looks like D))) -- I noticed it near the upper right-hand corner of the screen last night at the beginning of "The Office" and "Parks and Recreation."
  6. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    Someone mentioned in the other thread that this was "something new ABC is trying". Well, there's nothing new about Audio Description on tv. TCM has been doing it for years on a lot of their movies. Of course, all the cable networks are dependent on the cable companies to properly implement secondary audio channels.