1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ABC has ordered a pilot for 'S.H.I.E.L.D

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Fl_Gulfer, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1 of 11
    Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    Coming straight off the enormous success of 'The Avengers' movie, ABC has ordered a pilot for 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' -- the espionage and secret military law-enforcement agency in the Marvel universe.

The network has also brought on the film's director and writer, Joss Whedon, to executive produce and pen the project alongside his brother, Jed.

It will mark Marvel's first live-action television show and a return to television for Whedon, who has plenty of experience on the small screen with 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer', 'Firefly' and 'Dollhouse'.

'S.H.I.E.L.D.' made its debut in the comics in Strange Tales #135, which was published in August 1965.

It has always been centered around director Nick Fury, played by Samuel L. Jackson in 'The Avengers'.

There's no details yet on which superheroes we may see on the show but Whedon will have a plethora of characters to pick from the vast Marvel universe.

It's probably safe to assume that he will be looking to differentiate the TV show's world from the film, with 'The Avengers' sequel slated for 2015.

2. Sep 2, 2012 #2 of 11
    vertigo235

vertigo235 Active Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
  3. Sep 2, 2012 #3 of 11
    Peter000

Peter000 Active Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Yeah, let's pick the least interesting thing in Marvel comics to make a TV show out of. (JMO).

4. Sep 3, 2012 #4 of 11
    jamesl

jamesl Member

Jul 12, 2012
    wonder if it will be a cross between "The Unit" and "Mission Impossible" ?

5. Sep 3, 2012 #5 of 11
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Probably more science-fictiony than that...

6. Sep 3, 2012 #6 of 11
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Somehow I doubt we will see any superheroes. More just hi tech spy stuff.

7. Sep 3, 2012 #7 of 11
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I liked S.H.I.E.L.D. until Jim Steranko took over and turned Nick Fury into a psychedelic super-hero.

Although I always thought that what S.H.I.E.L.D. stood for was kinda dumb.

8. Sep 3, 2012 #8 of 11
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    S.H.I.E.L.D. used to be Supreme Headquarters, International Espionage, Law-Enforcement Division. The name was a takeoff from U.N.C.L.E., which was United Network Command for Law and Enforcement.

Later they changed it to Strategic Hazard Intervention Espionage Logistics Directorate. And now it's Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division, at least in the Marvel movies and Avengers TV series.

Oh, and I loved Jim Steranko's art on Nick Fury and SHIELD. Unfortunately, Jim became a legend in his own mind and pretty much insufferable. Then again, I always thought David Hasselhoff did not do that bad a job as the original (pre-Sam Jackson) Nick Fury in that otherwise misbegotten 1998 TV movie. IMO, he had the hard-bitten, cigar-chomping Fury down pat.

9. Sep 4, 2012 #9 of 11
    wprager

wprager Active Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Please tell me it won't be sponsored by a condom maker.

10. Peter000

Peter000 Active Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Or any hygiene product with wings.

11. MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    Miami
    I have concerns about this living up to anyone's expectation. I have said for years that "expectations drive satisfaction." If you have high expectations, it will take a lot to please you.

Well talk about high expectations...let's bring in Joss and do a spin off of the most successful comic book movie ever. It will have to be budgeted higher than most action series because of the special effect necessary to make that world believable. And with the big budget, the studio will expect great ratings.

I could be wrong, but I see pain and frustration for everyone involved...including the viewers.

I remember how Terminator: SCC became much too expensive for the ratings and how much frustration was expressed on these boards.