1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question about using the new Slingbox 350 with my Premiere ...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by gweempose, Apr 29, 2013.

1. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    My old Slingbox PRO-HD finally broke, and I'm contemplating replacing it with the new 350. Ideally, I would like to send HDMI from the TiVo to my receiver, and component video to the Slingbox. I seem to recall this may cause HDMI handshake issues if all the devices in the HDMI chain aren't turned on. Is this still the case?

2. Tico

Tico Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Dec 9, 2002
  3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes, it's still a problem. A couple of options:
    1. Use component connection, since the 350 has component pass-through option
    2. Using HDMI connect to TV through an active HDMI switch which will keep the HDMI-HDCP handshake alive thus working around the problem when TV is off.

4. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Thanks! So as long as the switch remains powered, it doesn't matter if my receiver or TV are on? What a clever workaround. I happen to have a Monoprice HDMI switch just sitting around doing nothing. :)

5. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    OK, which 'active HDMI' switches are you talking about?

I presume something like this does NOT qualify?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030AZ44O

I want it for similar reasons as I have described elsewhere -- to be able to use other connections to dub to my XS32 (hard drive/DVD recorder), while still keeping the HDMI connections from Tivos to the TV connected. Currently I use the XS32 as the main 'switcher', but would probably watch via HDMI much more often IF I got past this issue.. (Yes, nowadays I live with it being a lower quality picture, but as I've said elsewhere, I usually record SD channels so it's not much of a big deal.. But am starting to think of getting more EXTERNAL storage to record more HD..)

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The one you linked to is not active (doesn't have it's own power source). In other thread on this I was pointed to this one as confirmed to resolve the problem:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CR0ZYE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    When connecting to an active switch the HDMI HDCP handshaking will still work when TV is powered off so as far as TiVo is concerned it's like the TV is still on. Kind of a PITA workaround though to have another thing to have to plug in and suck up power to workaround a stupid HDMI problem.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It should not use very much power.

8. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Well, my fears were completely unwarranted. Before installing the Monoprice switch between my Slingbox and my receiver, I figured I'd see what would happen if wired up the Slingbox direct. It turns out, it works perfectly. I am able to view the component video feed coming from the TiVo when the receiver and the TV are both off. I assume my Denon must be keeping the HDCP handshake active even when it is off.

9. May 1, 2013 #9 of 11
    jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    My Yamaha does the same.

10. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Update:

So everything was working fine until last night when I added a Dabee Darblet to the mix. Now, I will get the dreaded "HDMI viewing not permitted" message whenever the receiver is on. As long as the receiver is off, everything appears to be fine. Somehow, the Darbee is messing with the HDCP handshake. It's installed between the receiver and the TV, so I guess it doesn't factor in to the equation when the receiver is off. Interestingly, I can still watch TiVo via the HDMI output even when the message appears. It only seems to affect the component output. Very strange.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Im not having issues with my Darblet at the location I use my Slingbox 350 with an Hdmi splitter and a Sony hdmi 2.1 speaker bar.

I think the Darblet has had some issues with a few receivers. But I've not had any issues with this one or the Darblet I use in my other setup with a DVDO DUO

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner