1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few basic questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mtm, Jul 11, 2012.

1. mtm

mtm New Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Hello, I am in the process of building a new home. I have been with DirecTV for 10+ years (have always used the DirecTV DVR's) and am going to be switching to Comcast when we move in. I have heard that the Comcast DVR's are junk, so i'm going to get 2 TiVo DVR's for our two TV's. Here are a couple questions I have:

1- What exactly do I need to connect both TiVo boxes so I can see and view the recorded shows on each box. I will have both units connected to my router, is that good enough?

2- Can each unit see the other unit, or can you only watch recorded shows on another TV from one specified unit? My DirecTV DVR's could all see each other and you could watch any recorded show on any unit. I'm hoping TiVo works the same way.

3- Only 1 coax is required even though you can have up to 4 tuners (with the high end model), correct?

2. mtm

mtm New Member

Jul 11, 2012
    1 more question I have is are the standard remotes that come with the TiVo units RF capable? Both DVR's will be in closed cabinets.

3. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    1. Yes, Networking is the same as a home PC.

2. Yes and No. Comcast may block some channels like HBO from being copied to another room You may be able to stream the show between the Series 4 TiVo's (Premieres, Elite). Be sure to go to TiVo.com My Account -> DVR Preferences and enable both the networking options for your 2 TiVo's.

3 Yes, the Elite (Premiere XL4) only has one coax input.

4 No, the standard remote is Infrared. The TiVo Slide Remote uses Bluetooth®.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    This assumes you are buying premieres.

1- hardwired ethernet is all they need to connect. Wireless can work, and does for many, but hardwired is best overall. The new unit (4XL) can use MOCA. There is a new box on the way that would act as a client for content on a second TV. You may want to read around the forums for that.
    2- You will have MRS and MRV- MRS is streaming between each box (which the new one will utilize) and MRV will allow transferring between each. You can also view content from your home network and archive *some* content off of your tivos to the network.
    3- Yes.
    4- No. Though there is an option to get the bluetooth slider remote (awesome) and to use iOS or an Android apps though your network.

5. mtm

mtm New Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Thanks for the answers! As for the standard remote not being RF capable, I assume there has to be some kind of sensor I can buy, isn't there? The unit in our bedroom will be in the closet and the wires connecting it to the TV will be run through the walls.

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    There's supposed to be some sort of RF conversion kit for the remote that replaces one of the batteries with a combo rechargeable battery and transmitter.

It's on the TiVo web site somewhere.

7. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Like this one Wireless RF Remote Control Extender $50 third item from the bottom of the page.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Check to see if your cable system uses SDV, which means you will need a Tuning Adapter to receive all your channels. The most commonly used TA box (Cisco STA1520) is 7" x 12" x 2" and runs very hot (i.e., you have to leave several inches of well ventilated space above it). Usually the TA is furnished free and you can do a self-install of both it and the CableCARD that TiVo needs. But don't count on your cable co diligently making you aware of all this -- you may have to search their web site and/or ask some questions. I would advise against locating your TA (or TiVo) in hard-to-reach places. If you don't have to occasionally power-cycle your TA and cycle its USB connection to the TiVo to regain all your channels, you will be among the lucky few.

9. CreepinDeth

CreepinDeth New Member

Jul 13, 2012
    That's interesting. I work for them as a plant engineer and wasn't aware of that.

10. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Welcome to the TiVo Community, I anticipate that you will be getting a lot of questions.

11. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wait, is that really true?

I thought that when a cable company "used SDV", that most channels (the most popular presumably) were still on regular assigned QAM channels and available through CableCard, and only SOME were only available via SDV.

I seem to remember that being anecdotally shown by some people having problems with their tuning adapter, but still being able to receive the cablecard-selected channels...

Anyway, if that is right, if people can figure out WHICH channels are SDV-only, if they don't care about those, they can do without the tuning adapter.. at least for now...? That is, be able to do without its unreliability (for some).. Just like how I used analog-only for a long time even though I was technically getting digital.

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

When he said "all your channels", he didn't mean "any of your channels at all", but rather that "without a tuning adapter you will not receive all of your channels, but only some of them".

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Correct. About two thirds of my HD channels are SDV, including many that are "most popular" to me. If you're lucky, your cable co will tell you which ones are SDV. But this is information that their "normal" customers never ask about so they may not have a list handy to give you. Once you have a TiVo set up with a TA, you can tell if a channel is SDV by tuning it then going into the Tuning Adapter diagnostic screens (very tedious if you want a complete survey of all channels, and obviously not possible if you don't have a TA). If you post your location, it's possible another TiVo user in that same system can tell you something about which channels are SDV. Maybe you will get lucky and find your system doesn't use SDV. Unfortunately the trend is increasing adoption of SDV.

14. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Ain't it funny how they have the technology to do SDV, but not a la carte?

15. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Ala-carte does not need special technology, as it not being is not a technological problem, but is one purely business/contractual related.
    The could have had ala-carte when individual cable boxes could be authorized for individual channels.

16. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    html really needs a sarcasm tag.