1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

60 Minutes 11/3/13: Guantanamo Bay, Lamborghini, college football coach

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Nov 4, 2013 #1 of 11
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Anyone watch?

If anyone wants to learn more about what goes on at Gitmo, I remember seeing a documentary on TV about it before. I'm pretty sure it was National Geographic: Inside Guantanamo. It is available on Netflix streaming...

I liked the Lamborghini piece but it seemed more like corporate PR fluff, which I'm sure parent VW liked. I've seen other documentaries on Lambo production before.

2. Nov 4, 2013 #2 of 11
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think the Gitmo story was less about Gitmo and more about how our legal system is being co-opted to make sure these terrorist are found guilty. If what the defense lawyers say is true, if this were say a simple case of bank robbery, the case would probably be thrown out. It's an interesting conundrum. Do you bend the law in certain circumstances when the people are extra bad? Who decides that? (not that I don't think these terrorists should fry, but it's an interesting legal battle).

The Lambo story....yeah, corporate fluff..but man those cars are gorgeous!!!

Nick Saban? Funny I always thought he was the son of the former Buffalo Bills coach Lou Saban, but I guess not. It's funny how the same coaches who are horrible pro coaches can wind up being such great college coaches. Good for him, but I don't know, I didn't find him all that interesting. His story seemed the same of so many coaches I've heard about. Nothing really very unusual about him that warranted a 60 Minutes story.

3. Nov 4, 2013 #3 of 11
    philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    I found the stuff about the cameras and the eavesdropping priceless.

The fact they have 'cameras' with the manufacturers name on them. The lawyer looks up their product line and sees that they are fake cameras that are microphones. So the CIA admits it. Priceless.

Then the red light classified warning switch that only the Judge and Assistant can activate. During a hearing, th light comes on, neither did it and they figure out the CIA is listening too. Priceless

4. Nov 4, 2013 #4 of 11
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    And with all of that, do you think these guys have any chance of winning their cases? I doubt it.

5. Nov 4, 2013 #5 of 11
    philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    Of course not. I do think that stacking the cards like they are trying though, does make our justice system look foolish.

Either win fair and square by the constitution and normal DOJ rules or declared they are military tribunals and will follow a specific set of rules. Don't hide sound equipment against rules, deny it, until caught, then admit it.

The gov't seems to be weakening the rules of our society and then admitting it when caught.

6. Nov 4, 2013 #6 of 11
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I agree. While I want these guys dead, I think it's a slippery slope when you start to circumvent the legal system. It's not the first time we've done it, but usually we're more public about it. Ask Japanese Americans held without their will during WWII what they think about it. At least we were upfront about it that time.

7. Nov 4, 2013 #7 of 11
    pdhenry

pdhenry Safety Pin

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    'Smoke Detectors.'

8. Nov 4, 2013 #8 of 11
    mm2margaret

mm2margaret Meagan

Dec 7, 2010
    northern...
    The Gitmo piece was at least interesting. The rest? No interest......puff and promotion and not something I would want to watch.

60 minutes has gone downhill of late.

9. Nov 4, 2013 #9 of 11
    mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    60 minutes has done "fluff" stories for decades (as long as I've been watching).. lots of celebrity interviews in the past, etc..

10. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I don't mind the puff pieces every so often, so long as they are interesting. I found the car piece at least mildly interesting. Coach Saban, not at all. And I'm a sports fan. He just seemed like every other successful coach I've seen pieces on. Demanding, soft side for charity work. Wife that sticks by him despite the long hours the job requires. That describes probably half the coaches in football. His background wasn't even all that interesting to me.

11. BluesFools

BluesFools Member

Apr 5, 2000
    Cary, NC, USA
    I only caught this because they were running late, but I saw the Lambos and called over my car-crazy teenage son to watch. Afterward he said "Wow. Somehow they managed to make Lamborghinis boring".