1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6 Tuner M-Card

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by pkb, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Sep 6, 2013 #1 of 49
    pkb

pkb New Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Does anyone know how to acquire a 6-Tuner M-Card? My cable provider (Cox Cable of Hampton Roads) only has M-Cards that provide 2 tuners. :( After talking with TIVO support, who determined that my M-Card did not have the proper upgraded firmware. I have been to two of their 'solution' cards and even waited an hour to get to talk to the techie M-Card dude at Cox. They are clueless about any M-Card in excess of 2 tuners (however, they have a new Cox-labeled DVR that does 6 tuners...). So I am looking for another M-Card provider. Can anyone help?

2. Sep 6, 2013 #2 of 49
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They are required by law to support at least 4 tuners. They're only required to support 6 tuners if they offer a 6 tuner DVR of their own.

Unfortunately you can't just buy an M-Card. You have to get one from your cable company. If they can't give you one then all you can do is complaint to the FCC and the local franchise authority.

3. Sep 6, 2013 #3 of 49
    pkb

pkb New Member

Sep 2, 2013
    OK-- how do I contact the FCC?

4. Sep 6, 2013 #4 of 49
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
  5. Sep 6, 2013 #5 of 49
    pkb

pkb New Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Thanks. I will post here on how it goes. Give me a few days....

6. Sep 6, 2013 #6 of 49
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cox is very uniform from market to market, and Hampton Roads is a Motorola market, and Cox does provide Motorola M-Cards capable of supporting 6 tuners.

Just ask moyekj, he lives in a Cox Motorola market and has a 6 Tuner Roamio Plus, ask him what his CableCARD is, and the Firmware Version.

Here is what moyekj reported as his Firmware:
    I will reach out to a few contacts in VA and see what I can come up with.

7. Sep 7, 2013 #7 of 49
    sheisler28

sheisler28 New Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I am in the Omaha area and I am having the same issue. I received my Roamio on Thursday but the 3 Cable Cards that my Cox Cable provider has provided me have not worked. They claim all they have are 2 tuner cards. They are sending a technician to my house on Monday. They do offer a 6 tuner DVR (Contour) to our area though so not sure how they can claim they only offer a 2 tuner cable card if that law is accurate? I HATE Cox Communications!:mad:

8. Sep 7, 2013 #8 of 49
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    This was posted by Margret regarding Verizon FiOS Motorola CableCARDs not sure if it applys to Cox Motorola, but worth looking into.

9. Sep 9, 2013 #9 of 49
    sheisler28

sheisler28 New Member

Mar 7, 2008
    We had the Cox technician come out tonight after 3 failed card attempts. He was here for 2.5 hours. Signal to line is strong so no issue there. He tried 2 of the 017 cable cards and no go with either! His theory is that COX does not have a system upgrade on its cards that Tivo needed to provide when they switched to the 6 tuner models. He basically left and said we were out of luck. Nothing more they can do for us.

Is anyone having luck with Cox and the 6 tuner models?

10. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    Pass this information to Margret Schmidt, TiVo's chief Design Officer, "@tivodesign" (twitter) or "margret@tivo.com"

It is important to her in getting cable co's educated. {mat be able tyo help you as well)

michael

11. mxfanatic

mxfanatic Member

Jan 20, 2007
    6 tuners and TA working fine on COX San Diego for my brother.

12. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Active Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    Hey, I'm in Virginia Beach (Kempsville area), and I've been using a 4-tuner TiVo Premiere XL 4 since March with no problems.

I had a Roamio Pro for three nights (before it died), and there were a few times where 5 and 6 channels were being used at the same time.

The problem I had with the Roamio Pro was being unable to pair the cable card. This meant it was unable to tune HBO/Showtime, but everything else worked OK. I had an appointment scheduled for them to come look, but the Roamio Pro died earlier that day, so I cancelled.

I'm back to using my 4-tuner XL 4, which uses 4 tuners almost every night. My replacement Roamio will be here on Wednesday night, so we'll see how that goes again.

Unless you have Verizon FIOS in your area, there's really no other provider of cable cards. :(

13. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Active Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    I just checked my Cable Card, and its Part Number is 514517-017-00, which is listed as the one that should work.

Under the status screen, it also shows:
    FW* 06.25- -/-/- -:-:-
    FW -.- - -/-/- -:-:-

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That is a card and firmware confirmed to work.

15. Loach

Loach Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Well that's BS. I have Cox in Omaha and all 4 tuners of my Premiere 4 have been working fine since I bought it in January. So their cable cards support at least 4 tuners.

16. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Active Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    Ha, that's my luck. Have the right cable card from the start, but then my Roamio Pro dies. heh

Got the replacement Roamio like an hour ago, will see if Cox has any more luck pairing them. :)

17. severe

severe New Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Incidentally, my Roamio Plus has been pulling 5 tuners from a Scientific Atlanta PKM800 card. I'd initially had 4 tuners working, but after a reboot got the 5th working.

Not too much of an issue, considering I'd gotten used to 2 tuners for years. However, anyone have a suggestion on getting the 6th tuner working?

18. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    You probably need to read the other threads about problems with some Cable Cards not tuning more than 4 (or in your case 5) streams.

This could be a known issue or you could have hit a known one.

If it's not a "known" problem then you will probably have to hit TiVo support up with it and find out if you need to swap your CC for a model/FW known to work.

19. severe

severe New Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Thanks.

20. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Active Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    Just in case this helps anyone else, ... Cox was repeatedly unable to pair the above cable card in my Roamio. Was on the phone with them for about an hour. The exact same card works perfectly fine in the Premiere XL 4 that the Roamio is replacing.

Talking with TiVo, it turns out the cable signal was too strong for the Roamio. The Premiere had no problem with it.

In Settings & Messages > Account & System Info > DVR Diagnostics, the Roamio showed Signal Strengths of all 100 and SNRs of all 44 dB. TiVo said the SNR should be between 34 and 38 dB. I unscrewed the coax going into the back of the Roami, attached an old 4-way splitter that I had, and then another short coax cable from that splitter to the Pro.

Adding the splitter dropped the Signal Strengths down to 85-95 and the SNRs down to 33-38 dB. Cox then re-sent the pairing signal, and it went through. w00t!