1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.1 surround sound where did it go?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by wkmanley, Oct 21, 2012.

1. wkmanley

wkmanley New Member

Jun 20, 2005
    I have a TiVo series 3 which plays 5.1 surround just fine. I noticed that when I use kmttg and Streamclip to down load and remove commercials, I lose the 5.1 surround getting only stereo. kmttg downloads to my Mac Pro giving numerous files only 2 of which I use, .edl and .mpeg. I use Excel to read the .edl which contains in and out points for the commercials and Streamclip MPEG to actually use the in and out points to cut the commercials. That way I have more control on what is cut. Streamclip then saves the processed file as MPEG with final conversion by Handbreak to MP4. I lose the surround in the mpeg file kmttg creates. Am I missing some modifications of kmttg or Streamclip? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Are you sure you're losing the 5.1? AC3 audio allows a mix of 2ch and 5.1ch audio in the same stream. Most media info apps will only report the channel configuration of the first audio frame in the file. So if the first frame is 2ch it will say 2ch even most of the stream is 5.1

Dan

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    First, I would check your Handbrake output settings and make sure it isn't set to 2 channel audio.

Same with Streamclip, if such settings exist.