1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4K Unified Entertainment System - I dont' think so

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by zubinh, Jan 3, 2017.

1. zubinh

zubinh Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I feel deceived by Tivo. On the Tivo Bolt + packaging they advertise 4K and slap the Amazon and Vudu logos on it. I come to find out that only Netflix and Youtube are supported in 4K. I feel deceived. I spent $1100 on this box that cannot match the streaming capabilities of a $100 Roku. Thanks for any explanation.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. krkaufman

krkaufman TiVo shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You won't get much of an explanation from TiVo, here, since this is an unaffiliated user forum. You may want to post to the official TiVo forums, >here<, if looking for feedback from someone on TiVo's payroll.

cybergrimes likes this.
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TiVo shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    And a $100 Roku can't yet do what a TiVo can, our dilemma as users.

4. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    I'm confused, you really thought the Bolt+ had these apps in 4K because of the retail packaging?
    According to your post history you should have known this, I mean you basically said as much back in July in a thread you started re: Dolby Vision/Atmos support in the Vudu app:

Just a month ago on December 5th might as well started the same thread as today:
    When did you think the Bolt+ was different? in October when you said there's no reason to upgrade?

or again back in June when you didn't see a point in upgrading:
    So? I don't get it, are you just venting a bit? ;/
    I wouldn't have even looked at your history but I remembered the thread from a month ago...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    cowboys2002, zubinh and krkaufman like this.
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TiVo shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Touche'! I hadn't ever noticed that forum description. Of course, it could also be interpreted as TCF users are listening, but have no power to do anything about any suggestions that might be made. But we're listening...!!!

Well ponying-up $1100 for a product that doesn't do what you want is certainly gonna learn 'em! ;)

6. compnurd

compnurd Active Member

Oct 6, 2011
    You want to complain. Complain to the app makers. Just like smart tv's the Xbox one s and the PS4 pro. They are all lacking 4K apps

7. alexb

alexb Active Member TCF Club

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    I agree it isn't TiVo that makes the apps..... it's amazon, Netflix, HBO, etc. I hope the IP agreements TiVo is signing includes a requirement for those folks to write apps for the TiVo (my suspicion is the apps already exist for the new platform and that's why the existing platform is so underinvested)... but I could be very disappointed when the new platform rolls out......

8. compnurd

compnurd Active Member

Oct 6, 2011
    To be honest. I am not sure they do. I mean why does Hulu only have 4K for the game consoles. Vudu screwed everyone with that stupid Vizio deal Netflix has been slow with HDR support also. And well Amazon is Amazon. They don't have a 4K app for Vizio tvs because of there google dispute

9. alexb

alexb Active Member TCF Club

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    Of course Netflix etc do their own apps, it's the only way for Netflix etc to keep the UI consistent, security consistent etc. now they may outsource it. Why don't you see all apps on all devices with all features - test matrix and tech debt, its expensive to maintain multiple platforms, so they depriotitise platforms with few subscribers. This is why we need to be on same platform as TiVo supplies to the cable companies.

Of course I recognize I could be wrong, but I don't think so given my experience in large scale software development.