1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 vs XL4 Speed Differences

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by 7WJ4C, Mar 2, 2013.

1. 7WJ4C

7WJ4C New Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Greetings all,

Question for you 4 and XL4 owners out there. I was a former Tivo (original series 3) and gave up on it because it was so darn slow and unresponsive.

Since I am diving back into the Tivo world, my question is are there any speed differences between the 4 and XL4, or is the difference purely HDD, remote and certifications?

I am really interested in the new bundle deal Tivo is offering right now (4, Tivo Stream, Mocha adapter for $300), but would spend a little extra if the XL4 was faster. Added hard drive space isn't a big deal for me

2. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    You've got it--the 4 and XL4 have identical specs except for HDD, remote, and THX so they should perform identically.

However, I don't think my XL4 feels any snappier than my OLED S3. If you were unhappy with the S3 response, you might want to sample one of the Premieres before you buy.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm with DaveDFW, my S3 was and is always quick, the Premieres have never been as fast, especially with the HDUI, they have been almost as fast with the SDUI however, but you lose some nice features.