1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 TB Tivos at Weaknees

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bobfrank, Sep 14, 2013.

1. bobfrank

bobfrank Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Weaknees is now selling 4tb, single drive, Roamios. 630 hours of HD.

$600 to $750 depending on which Roamio, basic, plus or pro.

2. Keen

Keen Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Minneapolis, MN
    They should have sent a poet. It's so beautiful.

3. tbielowicz

tbielowicz New Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Has anyone tried to just install a 4TB drive and see if it works? It may be that simple.

4. bobfrank

bobfrank Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Yes, there have been several attempts to use a 4tb drive to upgrade. Until now none were successful. Upgrading to 3tb is basically automatic. 4tb apparently requires some additional magic.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Their pricing seems a little weird. They have a Roamio Plus with a 4TB drive for $720 and a Romaio Pro with a 4TB drive for $750. The only difference between the two is the initial hard drive size. And you don't get the original drive with it when you have them put in one 4TB drive.

6. Devx

Devx New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    That's in line with their pricing on the Plus upgrades though. The difference with the Pro is that the "Pro" wording on the front costs $30, per Weaknees that is. :)

7. anthonymoody

anthonymoody New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    I bought a 2TB Plus from them.

Have to admit that even though by all accounts the Plus and Pro are exactly the same but for inbuilt storage, I'm a touch worried that at some point down the road I will regret that I didn't stretch and get the Pro as TiVo in the future may choose to unlock via software some feature(s) in the Pro that leave the Plus out in the cold, as a way to further differentiate the two models.

8. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    While that may be possible, I would hope that they would not do such a thing, it would really piss some people off, right now the only reason you would chose a pro is addl storage, not future proofing additional enhancements.

9. anthonymoody

anthonymoody New Member

Apr 29, 2008

100% agreed!

10. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    "Unlocking" different features was never done on the TiVo HD/TiVo HDXL, Premiere/Premiere XL, & Premiere 4/Premiere XL4 twins so we have a pretty good track record. So while doing so is technically possible, it certainly is not what we have seen in the past and would cause TiVo all sorts of problems.

11. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Of course all the previous systems never had any excess power.

Now I am wondering about things like in app purchasing ala the iPhone.
    The future might get interesting.

12. bobfrank

bobfrank Member

Mar 17, 2005
    I do remember that although the HD and the HDXL seemed the same, except for the disk size that the XL was able to be upgraded to a larger disk than the HD could.

13. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Both can be upgraded to 2TB (1 hard drive). There were/are 2 drive options that went further perhaps there was a difference there I don't know.

14. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Just for the fun of it I check weakness pricing. I looked at the Roamio Pro 4TB at $750 which is $150 more than the stock 3TB version and they extend the warranty to 180 days from 90. Seems reasonable when I factor in labor and the warranty.

But they do get to keep the 3TB drive and they get $170 for it as an upgrade in a Roamio Plus or $250 for it in a basic Roamio.

So for their cost of one 4TB drive, labor to change 2 drives, & providing the warranties on 2 units they are getting $320- $400 (plus normal markup) and still have either a 1TB or 500GB drive left.

Guess that still sounds reasonable to me overall but I don't think the basic Roamio buyer is getting a very good deal given how easy doing your own upgrade is.

15. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    Hell, getting promised features like a HD interface was hard enough, I cant imagine add ons,

16. bobfrank

bobfrank Member

Mar 17, 2005

The sticky "Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ" in the Series 3 forum, paragraph 16 under the Introduction clearly states that the maximum usable space on the THD would be 1.26 TB for one internal drive.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=370784

When I upgraded my THD and my HDXL I found that was the case. So unless newer software removed that limitation there was a difference on how much more space could be added with an internal drive upgrade.

17. Keen

Keen Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Minneapolis, MN
    Look at when that post was last updated. I have a 2TB drive in my Tivo HD (non-XL) at home, and have had one for 3 years now.

18. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    That info is out of date. I have personally upgrade my TiVo HD to 2TB, simple process. Same for Premiere and my understanding is the original Series 3 can now also be user upgraded to 2TB.

19. bobfrank

bobfrank Member

Mar 17, 2005
    That post was current when I did my upgrade. And at that time all the HD would recognize is 1.26 TB.

The post also says you can put in a 2TB drive, but it won't be all used.

I also indicated that there might have been software changes to allow larger drive usage since my upgrade.

How may hours of HD does your Tivo show as capacity? You may have a 2TB drive that is under utilized.

20. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I wonder if it's a trick? On the old units didn't they get past the 2TB limit by basically making the extra 1TB appear as if it were an external eSATA drive? And by doing so make it impossible to actually expand further by adding an eSATA drive? They're probably doing the same thing here. Except now the internal limit is 3TB.