1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3tb 652

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by cannonz, Jul 29, 2014.

1. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I assume is ok to use 3TB in 652, just will only have 2TB available to record on, correct?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The limit is 2TB under the current 11.0k/m software.

3. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Don't think the 3Tb drive will boot even without any expansion.

4. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    I think if one was to use a HPA to make the drive report the same LBA as a 2TB drive, and the software was already at 11.0h (minimum), it might work.

I don't have any (working) 652's around to try it on. In theory, it should work.

I'll let somebody else explain how, if there's anybody curious enough to go down this potential rabbit hole.

5. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Oh well, a neighbor had a couple of never used green drives for sale cheap. Glad I didn't try before asking.

6. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    FWIW I had a 3TB WD NAS drive running in my OLED S3 with a 2TB image on it until I pulled it to put in my Roamio.
    Did not modify the 3TB drive in anyway. Because the OLED S3 has a 32bit MFS structure, I could not expand it beyond 2TB. I have been curious if the HD or HD XL could be expanded beyond 2TB as they have a 64bit MFS structure. Would have to use JMFS to do the expansion. If you attempted it with a native 652 image you can only add a 2TB partition to what you currently have and so would not have the full 3TB used. Since a 658 has a 1TB native image, you could use the whole 3TB. In theory it could work.

7. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    I remember that a 3TB drive would not work, at all, in Premieres (not for lack of trying) with the TiVo software versions around at the time people were trying 3TB drives. It wasn't about expanding the drive. The 3TB drives just wouldn't boot, even if if all that was done was a clone of a stock drive to a 3TB one.

I later thought of trying a HPA setting to limit the drives to 2TB. But, nobody was willing to try it, and I didn't want to pay the "fresh on market" price for the 3TB drive, just to try it. Later, it would seem it had to be the software, more so than the drive, since 3TB Premieres are now a DIY, for free, option.

The S3/HD software 11.0h added support for larger external WD DVR Expander drives, also increasing the internal size supported, eliminating the 1.26TB limit (that could be worked-around by rearranging/resizing partitions, before 11.0h).

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If they're cheap buy them anyway and put 'em in a PC to store shows copied via TiVo Desktop or one of open source programs.