1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30 Rock live tonight 4/26/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tiams, Apr 26, 2012.

1. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    30 Rock is doing a live episode again tonight. One for the east coast and then again for the west coast. I think last time they did it both versions were available on Hulu. So people can see the version that was not broadcast in their area.

2. getbak

getbak Active Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    I liked it...both versions. I was going to try to remember all the differences, but The Hollywood Reporter did it for me: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...w-east-west-coast-differences-jon-hamm-317218

The biggest difference was the surprise walk-on at the start. I wonder if McCartney was a genuine surprise because Baldwin seemed a little taken aback.

The other significant difference was that Jon Hamm was Baldwin's co-anchor during the Apollo 13 segment on the East coast, but it was Brian Williams on the West coast feed.

The other differences were mostly minor dialog changes. I was surprised that the segment with Donald Glover as young Tracy was the same on both versions because Glover apparently hardly ever does the same punchline twice when they're shooting Community.

3. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I've only watched the East coast so far.

I got caught up with paying attention to quick costume changes.

At one point Alec's hair was very sweaty.

I also found myself looking for each actor in the "locked room" immediately after they appeared in a skit. Most of it was accomplished with camera angles.

I liked Jon Hamm doing a character that was basically Tracey Jordan and Tracey's character calling it offensive.

Grizzly Adams nightgown!

4. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I thought it was hysterical.

In the East Coast show, one of the SNL guest stars (Fred Armisen I think) dressed up as Frank and sat in Tracy's office in one scene. His hat said Frank 2.0.

Him leaning in and stealing the spotlight from Jimmy Fallon in the telethon scene was great.

5. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Liz had one line mess up in the East Coast version, but otherwise they did pretty well.

I was really impressed with Jane Krakowski. She was great, knew every line, a pretty flawless performance considering they asked her to actually do some acting and not just skit work.

There was a lot of giggling of the cast in Tracy's office during the flashbacks. They would cut back to the office and you could definitely seem smirking and such. The Dutch (I think?) lady was especially bad.

6. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    This was a fantastic episode. I hope they do more live shows.

7. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Excellent episode. The surprise guest stars were great (Poehler, Hamm, Glover, McCartney, Armisen), as well as the recurring guests Forte and Parnell.

8. Aniketos

Aniketos New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    I loved the Mad Men Zou Bisou Bisou reference at the end.

9. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    The NBC peacock in black-and-white? Ohhhh, "30 Rock."

(For that matter, Liz's mic flag in the Apollo 13 news broadcast was the early '80s "N+peacock" logo -- but that's much less of an issue.)

10. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    My favorite part of the entire episode might have been the expression on Tracy Morgan's face when they cut back to him after saying his character was made to honor the contract.

11. kar74

kar74 hi.

Feb 13, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Loved this episode! I knew it would be good when Dr. Spaceman made an appearance. It moved into "wet dream" territory when both Alec Baldwin and Jon Hamm were in the same skit, though. Yum. ;-)

12. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Looks like I'm the minority on this one... It's always funny to come here after a show because I try to peg what the general reception is gonna be and I thought this would get a "less than warm" lashing. I didn't think it was horrible, and was impressed how pretty much everyone nailed it, especially with some of the characters doing set/costume changes with no delay... When it cut to the honeymooner's parody it took me a minute to remember it was live so it must have been a ***** to bolt from one set to the next and do a costume change in what seemed like 30 seconds. And like mentioned, there was really only one or two line flubs.

I don't know, I didn't think it was nearly as funny as regular episode... A couple of good lines (Hazel's wildfire line, Jack saying "let's shoot a year's worth of show's in two weeks like Fox News), and the news broadcast was pretty funny ("they never found Jaime Miller, but the lady who did the report that day went on to be a wife..."). I thought the Honeymooner's skit was horrible--I couldn't figure out where the comedy was supposed to be.

It was ok but if I'm judging based on how much I actually laughed, it was way behind what the show usually does. Props for pulling it off though, although I guess with the amount of SNL blood running through it, it's probably not that much of a stretch. It's probably a vacation for them since it's only 22 minutes.

13. Anubys

Anubys KMT Soccer Playa

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I love this show but this episode was horrible. I didn't smile once. There was nothing funny or even remotely amusing to me.

14. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 New Member

Nov 23, 2011
    I have to agree with MrDazzo, while I enjoyed the show, I enjoyed it significantly less than previous episodes.

I can't put a finger on why though.

15. lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Nearly perfect. "Dusty" did sing the second line of the chorus twice in a row (West coast), but not a huge deal.

Enjoyed the Laugh-In rip with Tina as Gladys (and Baldwin as the Alan Sues/Paul Lynde hybrid on the West coast).

Brian Williams as the sexist David Brinkley was a hoot.

West coast got robbed - Kim K instead of Sir Paul?

K Schaal was pretty funny too. The series of I'm-not-talking-about-Hollywood lines was well done.

Wasn't enthused with the idea of them going back to this well, but it turned out okay. But they definitely should NOT do a third.

16. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    In the East Coast episode, "Dusty" spoke with a Southernish accent, which she fixed into a British accent for the West coast one.

17. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I liked it ok, but I prefer regular episodes. Live is a nice gimmick once in a blue moon. The cameos were fun.

But I hated the live "look." The tight camera shots to conceal the background and set limitations. The bouncing of the handheld cameras. I'm glad they only do this infrequently.

18. TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    I noticed that too.

Was it just me, or was the audience for the West Coast feed not as enthused as the East Coast one?

19. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I guess I agree with some of the dissenters -- not as funny as a usual episode, but I still appreciate it as a gimmick once in a while (once a season maybe?). Then again, it looks like next season will be their last.

20. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I just watched the West Coast video. What the heck did Kim Kardashian say to Alec Balsdwin at the end? I replayed it four times and couldn't figure it out.

East coast feed was much better with Paul McCartney! I also enjoyed Jenna's opening more than Danny's opening.