1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3.0 Ethernet HowTos

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by zaknafein, Jun 19, 2002.

1. zaknafein

zaknafein Shorthanded

Jul 17, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
  2. Sparkyjoe

Sparkyjoe New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Long Island
    I am kind of new to Tivo but am experienced with PC's/networks. I have the new Tivo series II with USB ports. From what I've been reading, it seems that the 3Com USB nic is one of the best ways to go for the Tivo series II. At home I have a network setup with a Windows 2000 Advanced Server domain. Once I have the NIC up and running in the Tivo, is there any way that I can do a full back up of the Tivo to my server on my network? I want to backup my Tivo, but since it is brand new, I dont want to crack open the case and void the warranty. I figure there must be a way of getting it on the network, and then just copying the contents of the drive up onto my server. Maybe I'm crazy, but it would great if someone knows how to do this. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Joe

3. Rooth

Rooth New Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I have a TiVo Series 1 unit (no USB) running 3.0.something of the TiVo software. I have a second hard drive in it (post-consumer hack).

I purchased and installed the TurboNet network card for my TiVo, and I now have a link-light on the card and on my 100baseT switch. I have a verified functional FreeBSD 4.6.2 DHCP server running on my private internal network (it also happens to be my NAT and firewall machine - my two Windows boxen and one Mac all use it for DHCP quite happily). I've entered the ",#401" prefix into my TiVo's call prefix entry, and made test calls. All test calls succeed unless I unplug the phone line (which tells me it's really not doing anything with the magical call prefix string). I've forced an update of the schedule, and it works just fine -- over the phone. If I unplug the phone line, the call fails.

I've tried power-cycling the TiVo (also tried the magical backdoor code for rebooting the TiVo, just for kicks ;). I've snooped the network while the TiVo was rebooting, and while it was calling, and basically for hours on end, and the only traffic I see on my internal network is from my 2 other PCs (I borrow one of the 3 network lines for the TiVo). I have not seen the TiVo's DHCP broadcast requests come across the line, so I think the TiVo is just not doing anything with the TurboNet card. I have not yet tried reseating the card (dismantling the TiVo from the A/V rack is a pain), but it is getting power (per the link-lights).

Any ideas? I've not done any other hacks to the system (yet), but I may go the BASH route next, and try to get a sneak at the log files. I ultimately want to get telnet/ftp working to the box, so I can snag those .m2* files for video fun, so maybe I'll do the nic_install step next, but it's useless without DHCP working.

Any ideas, anyone?

4. Sep 2, 2002 #4 of 93
    readhead

readhead New Member

Sep 1, 2002
    San Francisco
    Hi I'm a new owner of Tivo series 2. I hooked it up to the net via my linksys dongle and linksys router. It prepares and dials very fast. but then,
    I'm getting a service unavailable message when it tries to connect over the net

Any ideas?

5. rebthor

rebthor New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    NYC
    I have a TiVoNet card installed in my TiVo which was working fine. I went on vacation and when I came back, I found TiVo had crashed and now my TiVonet card no longer works. I removed the ethernet card and checked it in another machine - it appears to be working just fine; set to IRQ 5, Base 0x300, but when I place it back into TiVo I get nothing.

The bigger problem is that my modem, which was previously broken, is now more broken. It used to be that if I plugged in the phone line right as TiVo started to dial, I could connect, update, etc. Now, after about 15 minutes of connect time, I get a "Call Interupted" message.

Any ideas on how to fix either of these problems. I would prefer to get TiVonet back up and running, but barring that, I just want to update my machine and get me some guide data!

Thanks,
    Todd

6. cepler

cepler New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Kennett...
    I tried to modify my rc.sysinit and it seems to revert back to another unedited state after I install the drive in my TiVo and boot it up. Whats up here? Did they add some sort of checking routine? I can't seem to get telnet enabled... :(

I did edit rc.sysinit on both 4 and 7 partitions. 7 is 2.0.x, 4 is 3.0.x...

7. rinvelt

rinvelt New Member

Sep 23, 2002
    I've got the same issue as cepler above. Make changes, boot on tivo, no telnet reload on PC partition 4 is back to the old rc.sysinit. Partition 7 is fine. Anyone have an idea of what I'm doing wrong?

8. cepler

cepler New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Kennett...
    You need to download the nic_install ISO and boot from that, then run /nic_install/nic_install

This will run a program which will automate the driver setup and rc.sysinit modifications. Makes it VERY easy since it will also be able to read a locked drive as well, so no need to qunlock the drive :)

Go to this URL:

http://www.silicondust.com/turbonet/turbonet.html

9. rinvelt

rinvelt New Member

Sep 23, 2002
    Thanks for the link, will try it tomorrow. The hacker in me has to ask, what does the script do that I was not?

I've looked at this script:
    http://www.jsprod.net/tivo30script.htm

and it looks like it is doing the same thing I was doing by hand. Looking forward to seeing what the CD does..

10. cepler

cepler New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Kennett...
    Evidently in later 3.0 releases they are using a ramdisk with data on it to check at bootup that your files have not changed. (I am just speaking from my guess, this isn't confirmed, but is what I believe to be the case) They mount a ramdisk image, compare whats in there to what is on the drive, if it differs (md5sum?) they copy over the original file overwriting your changes and then restart the system.

What this CD does, in nic_install, besides install the driver modules needed and configure the network card etc is that it disables the initrd image so that this checking does not take place, allowing you to modify files to your hearts content.

nic_install will ask you if you want to disable the initrd image. It's not a script but a compiled binary I believe. It also lets you define your network connection as either DHCP or static and set a few other things. All-in-all, a handy utility.

11. porkface

porkface New Member

Feb 21, 2002
    America
    UPDATE:

nic_install fixed my setup, so now I'm left to wonder what it did that I couldn't do myself. Thank you for writing nic_install. But I'm still left unsatisfied that I have no idea what was done. I don't want other people hacking my TiVo, especially for simple things like this.

---------------
    ORIGINAL:
    Will this nic_install script do anything that I didn't do by entering the ",#401" code (no quotes)?

I have a Phillips series 1 Tivo (software 3.0-01-1-000) with the old TiVoNET card and am trying to get a DHCP lease from my FreeBSD router. I can get leases fine on my MacOS 9 and Window 2000 clients on the network, but the TiVo won't connect. I only have a single IP (192.168.20.53) available via the DHCP server (but it's not in use by any of the other clients currently). Could that be a problem?

PS: to the author of nic_install, thank you for your contribution. But I must say that expecting us to run binaries without having source code available is weak.

12. cepler

cepler New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Kennett...
    Yet you run Win2k and MacOS9? Why all the paranoia?

13. porkface

porkface New Member

Feb 21, 2002
    America
    They're secured behind my FreeBSD firewall. I use each system for the things it's best at. A little paranoia is healthy.

14. jarndt

jarndt New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    I running a SAT-60 with 3.1. When I went to the "joe ...." line the editor opened up with one line of text "New File".

The direction stated 3.0 version. Could this be the problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

J

15. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Maybe you should have typed "joe filename" or, if you did, old joe didn't find it, thus he thought you wanted to start a "New File".

16. louiewu

louiewu New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    I have aversion i Philips TIVO with the turbonet adapter installed in it. The adapter is getting an IP address from my linksys router but is unable to complete the test call (failed)

I have put the ,#401 in the dialing prefix several times trying to get it to work. I have version 3.001-1-000 of the software. This network adapter has not worked since I got it and I have tried several times to get it working.

I am on a broadband connection (cable-modem) and there are three other computers working just fine on it right now.

I only want to do the updates via the web, I don't want or need the ftp or telenet stuff...

HELP PLEASE !!!

17. porkface

porkface New Member

Feb 21, 2002
    America
    have you run the nic_install script from the CD?

18. louiewu

louiewu New Member

Jul 10, 2002

From everything I have read here, as long as I do not want the ftp or telenet I do not need the nic install since version 3 of the tivo software hase the network drivers in it....is this not correct?

19. porkface

porkface New Member

Feb 21, 2002
    America
    I wasn't able to get updates to work in 3.0 until I ran nic_install. I had the same symptoms as you, except I wasn't able to get a DHCP lease from my FreeBSD router. nic_install fixed that and I get my updates fine now.

20. louiewu

louiewu New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Good. Now all I gott do is get the nic install stuff....the url shown in a message above doesn't work...do you have a current url

again thx