1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2TB My Book AV DVR Expander Not Supported

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by hannja, Mar 30, 2011.

1. hannja

hannja New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Well, my previous 1TB My Book AV DVR Expander from Western Digital went bad. When I sent it back for RMA, they sent me a 2 TB version of the My Book AV DVR Expander. Installed like normal and my Tivo Premier indicated that it saw an external storage device. However, after trying to set it up, my Tivo says its not supported. Tried rebooting, unplugging, different esata cable, updating through Tivo service, etc. But still won't pair up.

It even says on the box Tivo Compatible and it's model # WDBABT0020HBK-NESN

Any suggestions.

2. retiredqwest

retiredqwest Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I searched for that model # and found very little. WDC store has the model # and shows it as 1TB and out of stock.

So I doubt anyone on here has even seen one of those beasts, yet alone have one. You may have to call WD and see what they say.

If you do call let us know what they say!

3. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Probably not supported by TiVo because TiVo can't handle more than 2TB total - with two disks, each can be up to 1TB.

4. rivered

rivered New Member

Mar 20, 2011
  5. Apr 2, 2011 #5 of 10
    Quake97

Quake97 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Southeastern PA
    I haven't heard of a 2TB version and like the other guy/gal said, it's probably because its 2TB. Do you have the latest OS on your Premiere?

Joe

6. Apr 3, 2011 #6 of 10
    hannja

hannja New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    I have the most current OS. I may end having to call Western Digital to send me back a 1 TB model rather than the 2TB they sent me.

7. advocate2

advocate2 New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Interesting that I have encountered the same problem years later with the 1TB version and my premiere XL. The Expander is recognized but will not pair with my device. Tivo's support suggestion was to purchase the Expander from Tivo at list price.

8. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    the issue in your case is almost without a doubt the fact that you have an already expanded main drive, you can not plug and play an approved expander at that point as mentioned in that thread.

9. telemark

telemark New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    hannja: Can you type in the UPC on the box? I'm betting the drive and box somehow got mixed up. Last anyone's heard, WD 2TB expanders were never added to the approved list.
    Oh wait, this thread is from years ago.

advocate2: Aren't the two symptoms different cause in one case (2TB) the Tivo says not supported, and in the other case (1TB) it says it is supported but ends up not adding it in the end?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  10. advocate2

advocate2 New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Yup.. That was the problem. When paired with my stock Elite, the Expander paired first try.