1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd Refurbished Tivo not recognizing Tuning Adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by starbuck79, Aug 6, 2014.

1. starbuck79

starbuck79 New Member

Aug 6, 2014
    My 2nd refurbished Tivo Premier is unable to recognize that the Tuning adapter is plugged in. This is the 2nd straight refurbished Premier with the exact same issue. I returned the previous one hoping it was a hardware issue with that box. No matter how many times I power cycle either the tivo or the TA, the Tivo never recognizes that it is plugged in to the USB. I've tried plugging it in while the tivo is running and power cycling them at the same time. Cable card is paired and I can watch non SDV channels. The Motorola Tuning adapter has a solid orange light. When plugged into the Tivo, the red light on the TA blinks every 4 seconds.

I've swapped out the adapter with a different working tivo and the adapter works perfectly on the other box. I've also swapped out the USB cables with the other box. My older non refurbished premier works perfectly.

I was able to find this page

support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/148

There is a known issue with certain Tuning Adapters that is triggered by specific channel map configurations. This issue becomes apparent when you connect the Tuning Adapter to a new or replacement TiVo DVR, which does not have an existing copy of a channel map stored on its hard disk. It can also happen on a TiVo DVR where the channel map copy is deleted from its hard disk by a Clear & Delete Everything command or by a software update that erases the copy. If you have this issue, contact your cable provider, or contact TiVo customer support, who can make your cable provider aware of the issue.

Has anyone had this issue before? Does anyone have any idea what the solution could be?

I'm a Time Warner customer.

Thanks.

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Post your location to enable better help here. And my condolences for being on TWC. Most TWC regions (including mine) use Cisco TA's.

3. starbuck79

starbuck79 New Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Location is Dallas, Tx. I picked up 2 new Motorola TA's from Time Warner a week ago. Both work perfectly when plugged into my other Tivo. It's just the new refurbished models causing problems.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Sounds like there's supposed to be something on the TiVo drive that the TA is supposed to write to/make entries in, and if it, or at least its bones, isn't already there, the TA trying to pass info along to it just gums up the works.