1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Tournament of Roses Parade

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by hummingbird_206, Dec 31, 2011.

1. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Active Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Near...
    On Jan 2 this year? I guess there's some rule that they don't have the parade on a Sunday. Bummer. I love being hung over from NYE and vegging to the parade. Guess I'll have to indulge tonight to be sociable and tomorrow night just to be in the correct mood for the parade on Monday morning.:D

Looks like HGTV is broadcasting again, so TiVo set for that one as well as the ABC broadcast.

2. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Here is what the Tournament of Roses website says about the tradition of not having the parade on Sunday:

The Tournament of Roses is a tradition full of traditions, one of which is our "Never on Sunday" policy. In 1893, officials decided to move the parade to Monday, January 2 to avoid frightening horses tethered outside local churches and thus interfering with worship services.

Note that it has nothing to do with any conflict between the Rose Bowl football game (which didn't start until decades after the first parade) and the NFL (which not only did not start until 1921, but apparently never played a game in January until the first Super Bowl). However, the Rose Bowl is also never played on Sunday. (For that matter, when the Cotton, Orange, and Sugar Bowls were traditionally on January 1, they were not played on Sundays either, although I don't know how much of that is because of the Rose Bowl and how much because of the NFL.)

3. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The Orange Bowl is the second oldest game and they did not play on Sunday either. As both started before the nfl was big and before television, it has nothing to do with the nfl.

4. Jan 1, 2012 #4 of 13
    sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    KTLA is showing it for those lucky enough to get a "pure" telecast. Halmark, at least on my cable provider is at Noon. That is your second best showing because it is usually KTLA's broadcast. KTLA is channel 5 in the Los Angeles market area.

5. Jan 1, 2012 #5 of 13
    Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    They are showing the 1982 parade today.

6. Jan 1, 2012 #6 of 13
    Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    f the nfl. Bowl games should be on today.

7. Jan 1, 2012 #7 of 13
    nmiller855

nmiller855 New Member

Sep 26, 2000
    East of...
    There will be a Roy Rogers tribute float.

8. Jan 5, 2012 #8 of 13
    taronga

taronga New Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Kentucky
    I finally got fed up with the HGTV broadcast this year. It's "commercial free" but you could have made a heck of a drinking game if you drank a shot whenever they mentioned the Dream House or plugged some totally random HGTV show. The periods inbetween network advertising were taken up by that Australian guy trying to name every single flower used on every single float. It was irritating. Thankfully I also recorded Hallmark's later broadcast which turned out to be KTLA's marvelous coverage with an hour's worth of commercials added (but nothing cut).

9. Jan 5, 2012 #9 of 13
    hummingbird_206

Aug 22, 2007
    Near...
    I agree, the HGTV broadcast sucked because they just never shut up! It looked beautiful but I had to keep hitting the mute button. The Hallmark channel doesn't broadcast here else I'd have recorded it.

10. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    I think it would be more enjoyable to just watch the parade and turn on music in the background.

11. ewolfr

ewolfr .

Feb 12, 2001
    SoCal
  12. hummingbird_206

Aug 22, 2007
    Near...
    Except I like to hear the bands play.:(

13. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Ah, living in KTLA land. Ah, immaculate, just a mention with a logo. At the most the commercial annoucement was 15 seconds long.