1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20.3.8 is still broken

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by fletchoman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. fletchoman

fletchoman New Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Problem: Roamio is not recording scheduled programs

I got the update to the new firmware 20.3.8 but it has not fixed the problem that I have been experiencing. The unit failed to record the Cowboy's game today and it is in the failed state now.

Can someone please list a set of instructions to capture troubleshooting information to help Tivo understand the issue.

I posted a pic showing the tuner is in the failed state. The channel that was selected (609 FOX) shows as recording but no tuners are set to the channel. It looks like tuner 2 was expected to capture the recording but it is in a failed state (see pic).

Attached Files:

2. jimmypowder

jimmypowder New Member

Oct 24, 2013
  3. NJguy

NJguy New Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Interesting. That is crazy. It's recording the Cowboys game fine for me right now. I'm at a loss for you too. Don't know why that would be happening.

4. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Bad cable card ??

5. fletchoman

fletchoman New Member

Dec 15, 2013
    I am on my second cable card. I was able to select 6 channels to record simultaneously as a test, but this failure is typically happening when I only have 1 scheduled event.

6. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Problem with the Roamio itself ?? as you are the first person to report such a problem, I have two Roamio +s running without problems and most people on this Thread have well working Roamio(s), when the TiVo servers are working.

7. HiRoller

HiRoller New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    I thought my device was going to do the same thing, but was pleasantly surprised.

I set up both the 1:00 and 4:00 games to record on Fox (513 Verizon Fios) via a wishlist for NFL Football. I have all games padded an hour and a half. In the past, the second game would start recording at 4:00, using a second tuner and overlapping the first game which is still recording.

Today, at around 4:30, I noticed the second game was not recording, and I couldn't force it to. But, when the padding ended around 5:30, the first recording closed, and the second started, showing it to have an hour and a half already recorded. It seems that the unit has gained enough intelligence to avoid tying up two tuners to record the same thing!

Could this be happening in the OP case?

8. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Not with the picture the OP posted, that was ugly.

9. fletchoman

fletchoman New Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Here is another one: tuner 5 is also OTL

Attached Files:

10. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I'd be interested to know your CableCard brand and firmware version. The Cisco firmware 1.5.2.2801 or 1.5.3.0601 can do 6 tuners at some times but present problems at other times.

11. fletchoman

fletchoman New Member

Dec 15, 2013
    I'm using the Cisco cable card...1.5.2_F.p.3001.

A channel test brought the system back to life and now all the tuners are working.

12. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    That is some ugly ****** on those pics

13. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    I'm getting the same thing on my diag screens, since the update rolled, but had not before the update.

Whatever TiVo did to workaround the problem, took me from not having SDV problems, to lots of these problems. Sometimes it's not even a SDV channel, but I think another tuner being on a SDV channel is what causes the non-SDV channel to give DVR Diags these types of statuses.

Three affected Roamios, and one Premiere I haven't shipped away yet. All getting borked by this update.

14. fletchoman

fletchoman New Member

Dec 15, 2013
    I just got off of the phone with a very capable Tivo support person (Christopher). We found that the signal strength was too strong (100%, 41db) on all tuners. I placed a 10db attenuator inline to get (86%, 34db). I will report back if this change solves my issue.

15. HazelW

HazelW Member

Dec 6, 2007
    No. Va
    You are probably experiencing the cablecard problem with six tuners activated. The one you are using has problems. Read the thread on Tuners 5 and 6 not working. You need to revert to 5 or 4 tuners.

16. andyw715

andyw715 Active Member

Jul 31, 2007
  17. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    In my case no. Going from six TAs in use, to three, lets me swap them around, same with cablecards. I haven't returned any yet, just in case the ones I picked (I go for the highest serial numbers/most recent manufacture date) seem to be failing or have some issue that can be resolved by changing them.

It's a PITA, swapping them around, though. Cox pairs the TA to a specific cablecard, so lots of reading letters and numbers over VoIP telephone, and hoping they can hear me clearly, as well as the other way around.

18. fletchoman

fletchoman New Member

Dec 15, 2013
    The pics showing tuner five is the one that I disabled, because I thought the same thing. Unfortunately it has made no difference on my issue. My failure has typically happened when I only had one scheduled recording...

19. brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    I'm having that problem whenever I have back to back programs on the same channel. I don't have that problem on my Premiere XL, just my Roamio Pro. I just ordered some attenuators, but I'm having my doubts. I have 39 db on tuner 0, and 41 db on tuners 1 through 5 on the Roamio Pro. I have 37 db on both tuners of the Premiere XL. One would think I would see the same problem on my Premiere XL, but its operation has been flawless.

20. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The dB #s in Roamio must be calculated differently or there is an internal booster as part of the Roamio since they have always been higher than series 4 units connected to same coax. In my case all 6 tuners are in the low 40s for dB and signal strength is 100% on all tuners. That is a red flag according to TiVo support but I have not had any signal trouble or missed recordings and in fact the Roamio Pro has been the best behaving TiVo in that regard for me so far.