1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20.3.8 black menu bug after delete/keep dialogue.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by shamilian, Dec 23, 2013.

1. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ

I am having this issue so far I have noticed it on 2 of 6 tivos.

It only happens if I select delete from the pop up dialogue at the end of a recording. If I select keep the menu system works fine.

If you have the video in the corner on, then you see that as well as the black screen.

If I press liveTV or Guide then everything works again. Although I have lost my place in the My Shows list. ( The Tivo button does not work.)

Thought it may be an hdmi issue, I switched to analog but nothing brings back the menus other than those 2 buttons.

This happens randomly on only 2 of my Tivos, a 2 tuner and a 4 tuner. Configuration is the same as my other 4 tivos...

2. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Add me to the list.....But I have had to unplug and reboot on the Roamio Pro.

3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    So this issue doesn't affect every TiVo? I'm not seeing the problem on my Roamio Pro. I tried several shows choosing to delete at end of playback and works fine for me. I don't use the detestable video/preview window if that makes a difference.

4. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    Has anybody tried this, when blind, and contemplating the power cord to get the menus/display back?:

1. Press TiVo button

2. Press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play

If no luck:

3. Don't do anything else yet, repeat one more time (steps 1-2), except use Record, Record as the last two UI reboot initiation sequence remote buttons.

Obviously, I have the same problem with (apparently) the HDMI handshake being corrupted, resulting in nothing on my TV.

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    This kind of problem probably needs more data in terms of video output settings. I have only 1080i & 1080p/24 selected as valid outputs and have not had this problem.

6. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    Agreed:

This "bug" hits both my Premiere and Roamios, since 20.3.8.

Premiere is set to native mode (all modes enabled).

Roamios are set to 1080p/60 & 18080p/24 ONLY.

7. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    its happened to me a few times after getting the update, just by hitting the Tivo button to check something in the menus.... the video preview window continued on merrily... the fixes varied. sometimes hitting left to go back to the program worked, or just knowing where I was at in the UI and selecting a different program to play, or sometimes having to reset the HDUI

Seems to have calmed down now for me, I haven't gotten it in the last day or two.

8. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    The tivo button does not work ( I assume I would be at tivo central with a black screen )

I tried rebooting the UI, as well as the Tivo on occasion but the bug continued. ( The tivo behaved normally and the bug still happens )

To get the menus to display liveTV or Guide button always works.

This is not an HDMI issue. I converted to component and still have the issue. I also turned on the video window and it always works, I get a black menu screen with a video in the corner.

9. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    no not all Tivos are affected.
    ( I have not figured out what makes this happen on one tivo and not on another, my tivos have about the same config.)

I have 4 P4s, 1 is affected
    I have 2 P2s, 1 is affected

the video preview window has no affect except to show that hdmi/output display is working correctly. The menu system is just not being drawn.

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    And what are your video output settings for each? Is there something different about the settings for the 2 that are not affected?

11. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Same here on the Elite and haven't seen the issue after 20.3.8.

12. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    Same here. Only have those 2 resolutions set, have 3.8, and haven't had this issue either.

13. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    I have had 480p, 720p, and 1080i set.
    As an experiment I selected only 720p and 1080i, this had no effect.
    (it sounds like many of you are running 1080i most of the time)

I have 6 Tivos only 2 have this issue, the other 4 are working fine.
    They all have the same configuration.

This issue only started after 20.3.8

I am currently running a disk scan...
    The disk is just about the only unique thing ( theory: if there is a disk read failure or retry maybe it causes some timing glitch )

14. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    There's really no reason to select anything other than 1080i and p, so try that. You won't see any difference and won't have any mode sync delays, and it might fix your black screen issue if it's indeed caused by a res switch.

15. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    The disk scan did not do anything.

Limiting the video mode to only 1080i seems to fix it.

I was able to force the problem by:

switching to a 720p live TV ( abc network )
    press the tivo button ( forces the menu into 720p mode )
    select my shows.
    find a group with 1080i shows.
    play a show
    go to the end
    select delete in dialog

sometimes returns to group list in 720p mode ( TV shows 720p mode)
    sometimes returns to a black list ( TV shows still 1080i mode)

I was also able to cause the bug on a TV/Tivo that did not show the problem before, by changing the video settings to include 720p and 1080i.

I also noticed that it does not always change the TV mode when playing a 1080i if it was in 720p before it will sometimes just leave it in that mode.

They have botched the video resolution modes in this version of the OS!

16. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    As I said, who cares - you won't see a diff vs. native anyway and won't have a res mode sync delay (flashing screen etc.) by setting it to 1080i/p fixed.

As usual with this update, Tivo breaks as much stuff as they fix. This has been the pattern for a long time now.

17. moose53

moose53 New Member

Aug 30, 2011
    I've seen this thread popping up when I review the postings for the day.

I have NOT been updated yet. Wasn't too impressed with the last update ... as far as I'm concerned, it broke Youtube ... can't see playlists anymore.

Anyway, I haven't been watching much Netflix since they got rid of their notifications to instantwatcher.com about upcoming expirations. I've been mostly streaming/torrenting movies lately.

Yesterday, because of all the Christmas movies in my Netflix queue, I figured I'd start cleaning out my queue.

Every ... single ... time, I watch something to the end, my screen goes black (dark gray, actually). I never get the option to remove the item from the queue ... goes straight to black. The only thing that gets me out of it is pressing the Tivo button.

This is **IRRITATING**. I have not been updated yet. I want to put concrete barriers in front of my Tivo to keep the latest update from coming. Obviously, it's going to make things #worse.

Barb

PS: I'm set to only 720p.

PS2: I changed from 720p to 1080i/1080p and was able to watch an entire episode without the screen blacking out.

18. Jeff_DML

Jeff_DML Member

Mar 2, 2009
    subscribing since I am getting this. I am configured for native output but the wife if complaining so I guess I will configure to 1080i only until fixed.

19. Sanjoseguy

Sanjoseguy New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I've been having this same issue. I thought it was due to my Xbox One but now I see it's my actual Tivo. I am able to bring things back by doing "thumb down, thumb up, play, play" to restart my user interface.

At least I'm not alone!

SJ

20. Rassilon

Rassilon New Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Seattle
    I've also been having the issue since getting the newest update and figured I'd come here and see if anybody else was as well. I also see it if I just hit the TiVo button and I was watching live TV (it doesn't have to be at the end of a recorded program).

My setup has 720p, 1080i, and 1080p (passthru) activated. I do have the HD menus enabled as well. I haven't paid enough attention to notice if it always happens from switching to the TiVo menus from say 720p or 1080i sources. I'll try to keep an eye on that next time I see it.

It's pretty annoying though so hopefully the root cause can get found and fixed. If I could downgrade I would as I'd rather have the menus function properly then the (much nicer) Netflix interface.