1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 tuners and watch tv

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Stormydog, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Stormydog

Stormydog New Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I'm curious, but afraid I already know the answer to my inquiry. My wife goes through the roof complaining (I'm saying it politely) when both tuners record shows and she can not even watch tv. Before digital cable was forced on me, I had a splitter with analog signal and when S2 tuner recorded, I could always go to viewing the tv source and watch any current tv show. This is what my wife is used to being able to do. Now, with Premier and digital signals, you can not watch tv by itself anymore. (I also got suprised by being charged a monthly fee for the cablecard, which I wasnt told I would get a monthly charge.)

So my question is simply, is the only way to watch current tv
    - no Tivo, is to attach a seperate DTA - at an additional charge? Of is it not possible and I am tied to Tivo for everything? Wanting HD programming is not that important to me.

2. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Most cable still use the first 20 or so channels as analog channels like the networks, so you could split the cable between your TV and TiVo and feed the TV with the analog cable signal, than when the TiVo is recording two programs you could just switch the TV input to direct cable and tune some channels directly, with some TVs/cable systems you can also receive HD network stations using this method.

3. robm15

robm15 New Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    +1 on what lessd said.

This is what I do. Plus my TV has a digital tuner built in that picks up the channels in HD that the cable company provides. Sadly, I think the picture looks better in HD using the TV's tuner than the premiere, but it is what it is.

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    You could also see what a cable box would cost to have. If they are charging you for the cable card one box might be free. Of course the whole purpose of TiVo is to stop watching "live" TV, perhaps you are recording the wrong shows if there is something she wants to watch while you are record 2 other stations. Somehow I don't see how you ever get to watch the recorded stuff if you keep watching shows live.

5. DeWitt

DeWitt New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Summit, NJ
    I solved this simply with a second Premiere. With 4 tuners I never have any issues anymore.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Watch live TV? Who does that anymore?
    Sorry, had to be said.

7. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Some people may like to turn on CNN or some other news program just to see if anything new has happened in the world, if you are recording two other programs that is hard to do even with a split cable as most cable co scramble all non network news channels like CNN or HN. A second TiVo with a cable card may solve that problem at some expense that one may not want to spent just to watch some live CNN news now and then.

8. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    :rolleyes:

9. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    You can use the same splitter you had with the Series2. As long as they still broadcast analog channels, or your TV can receive digital channels, you can watch live TV using the TV's tuner. You just can't watch premiums or anything encrypted.

10. Stormydog

Stormydog New Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I set up the Premier to record shows. Many times there are two shows in prime time that I record and there are no other showings of this show or other time slots conflict. I am not home but my wife is. She simply wants to watch anything she wants to and gets frustrated when I have set up the recorder with two shows to record.

Before the forced switch to digital, she could simply switch tv inputs and watch whatever on the cable input. Now, she cant watch anything and gets upset.

In actuality, I do have an old S2 hooked up with a splitter, but she finds multiple remotes, switching inputs and even operating Tivo too much to deal with when she simply wants to watch a show when I am not home. I am already mad at cable company because they charge a 7.95 monthly fee on cablecard. There is another tv in another room with the digital converter for Comcast On Demand attachemnet (free one) but would like to sit in our living room and watch using the larger screen tv.

I was hoping for a tip like attaching a splitter on the already split line and feed that into tv input. Unfortunetly, I am not that savey with tv/dvr/cable/digital adapter hook up abilities and limitations and hate to limit my flexibility because I dont know any better when there is a very knowledgable source right here in this forum.

11. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I guess you have to deside:

1. Are you willing to spend more money to solve this problem?
    2. If yes it is fairly easy to get another tuner either by adding another TiVo or Cable STB
    3. If no then you have to decide what is more important recording the shows you want or having a happy wife who get to watch what she wants to.
    Frankly TV is just TV missing any of it is really not all that relevant. But a happy wife can be heaven on earth and an unhappy wife is hell on earth.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If you have an HD set with a digital tuner, try the CATV feed on it. Have it scan the available channels and some of the channels she watches may be on there.
    No way to know unless you try it. Around here on FiOS and Comcast there are several non-local channels that are broadcast without the need of a cable card to receive them.

13. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    "Middle of...
    Clear Qam Tuner. Always purchase a tv that has one.

14. Torgo

Torgo Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Philadelphia
    QAM is irrelevant, even if your cable co has some channels in QAM, it won't be all and won't be mapped right/conistently.

If OP's wife has issues with not being able to watch her show, telling her "Well Dear, you can watch 8 channels on this tv, but I'm not sure what is where" is not going to work..

15. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Here my solution- find out which shows she wants to browse on live TV, and put them all in a season pass so she can timeshift them. Or/in addition- turn on suggestions and make sure she gives them thumbs up. Then, she can browse the inventory of shows in the now playing list instead of live TV.

TiVo is nice for avoiding commercials, but it is really best in watching more content, and potentially less TV overall.

16. P42

P42 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Stormydog needs to stop using his wife's TV :D

17. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    current events?? isn't that what the web is for?
    +1 jrtroo - sounds like there just aren't enough shows for her to watch.

Sure occasionally I may look at what's on live TV - just because I don't have an urge one way or another to watch something.

Say it happens to be recording 2 shows my wife likes.. I'll just double check what's in the suggestions area; there's always _something_ to watch.

Worst case, I can switch my TV to utilize OTA - which is going directly to the TV.

18. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I do agree the best solution is separate his and hers TVs and DVRs.

Amazing how things have changed when I was a kid we had one black and white TV and 4 channels for the whole family. Now someone was posting somewhere around here about having 11 TVs and most people have access to dozens of channels.

19. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    How exactly does a "tuner" work in a TiVo? It's not just an "analogy expression"? I thought that "digital" cable means that the programs are software decoded. So in theory, can't you have like 100 "tuners" if your DVR is powerful enough? I thought the limit on number of recordings/playback in a digital box is limited by stuff like hard drive access, CPU, etc and there were no more traditional "tuners" like analog television where a piece of hardware reads one frequency or something like that.

20. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Digital is really not much different than Analog. You basically need a tuner to decoded the digital stream and send the info to your screen. This is not the same as encryption which is a security product. You need cable cards to allow decryption and then tuners to decode the stream.