1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Streams on one network?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by Goober96, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Goober96

Goober96 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    I already have 2 Premieres and a Stream. If I add a 6 tuner Roamio can I keep the existing Stream on the network in order to still be able to stream from the Premieres, since the Roamio has built-in streaming?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No need. The Stream inside the Roamio can still stream from the Premieres. Margret confirmed this via twitter.

3. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    The real question will be "Is there any benefit to having a standalone Stream box on the network if you have a Roamio Plus/Pro?"

4. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't think there is. There is no way to pick which Stream is used by the iPad app so I assume it just selects the first one it finds on the network. So basically you'd end up with one or the other sitting completely unused. Unless they change the app to allow you to select which Stream it uses. Then it might be useful if you need to stream more then 4 shows simultaneously.

5. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Active Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Plainview...
    If I can't choose which TiVo to stream from when your out of the home then what's the point if you own multiple TiVo's???

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You can choose which TiVo to use, but you can't select which Stream it uses to transocde. It just automatically picks the first one it finds on your network. I don't think they ever intended people to have multiple Streams.

Note even though the Roamio Plus/Pro have an internal Stream it's still treated just like the external one. So even if the show is on that same TiVo it's still streamed across an internal network switch before being transcoded and sent out to the iPad. The Stream inside a Plus/Pro can be used by any Roamio or Premiere on your network, not just itself.