1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Roamios, MRV only on one.

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by zordude, Aug 29, 2013.

1. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    Hopefully someone has seen this before.

I have 2 Roamio Plus devices.

Roamio #1 - connected via wifi.
    Roamio #2 - connected via ethernet cable.

Roamio #1 does not see #2 in My Shows.
    Roamio #2 does see #1, and can watch shows via MRV.

I have tried:

- Reboots
    - Forcing dial home
    - Disable video sharing for 24 hours and re-enable
    - Changing the name of the devices and forcing a dial home.

Any ideas of what to try next?

2. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    A long shot, but you've already done the obvious things: check your wireless router and make sure it's passing through the appropriate discovery packets in both directions. If you have a filter blocking either mDNS packets or broadcast packets, that would be a problem.

3. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    Check that both Roamios are on the same subnet. What exactly does the ethernet on Roamio 2 connect to? The wifi router, or something else (e.g. directly to the modem)?

Just out of curiosity, I have seen a number of people with these two Roamio setups and would be interested in knowing the advantages you see with this setup versus say a Roamio and a Mini?

4. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    If one of them has an ethernet cord plugged in, couldn't you just enable Moca on both and try that? I believe it's supposed to be faster than WiFi.

5. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    They are definitely on the same subnet, the wifi router is the modem and I will check tonight if the wired one in plugged into a switch or direct.

A Roamio and a Mini probably would have been sufficient for me, I didn't think of it until afterwards.

6. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    It wasn't clear if that would cause any kind of conflict with the Moca connection between my Fios router and ONT.

7. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    i believe consumer devices like the Roamio use a different Moca channel than service provider devices like the Fios ONT, so there should not be a conflict.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The connection from the router to the ONT uses a different MoCA frequency than the connection from the router to the STBs.

9. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    Thanks, I'll give that a try then, it almost has to be better than the crappy buil-tin wireless.

10. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    I wouold certainly try MoCA. We are using it to connect a XL4 to our network. The FIOS router/modem (Actiontec MI424WR)is handling the MoCA administration and switch duties among MoCA, wireless & EtherNet. Speeds have improved tremendously.

michael