1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$199 Lifetime transfer + 1yr Service Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by miller890, Sep 12, 2006.

1. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    With the $199 lifetime transfer offer, does anyone know if I can take the 1-year of service for the old S1/S2 and apply it to a different box? What I would like to do is pickup a new S2-DT apply the 1-year free and drop my original S2.

2. tunnelengineer

tunnelengineer New Member

Jul 21, 2006
    I would bet that cannot be done. They are not offering a free year of Tivo service, they are offering a free year of Tivo service on the tivo that the lifetime was transferred from.

I imagine you can call tivo and ask them.

3. Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    I'd like to do the same. Except my lifetime box is an S1, and I have an unsubbed S2 sitting around that I'd rather use for that year.

4. Krellis

Krellis TiVo-tee

Mar 26, 2003
    Davis, CA
    Item 4 of the fine print on the VIP page reads:

The "not transferrable to another party" part would indicate to me that it's probably not transferrable to another unit in the same account, either, though it doesn't explicitly say that.

5. Saturn

Saturn Lord of the Rings

Apr 10, 2001
    Yea, but same party, different unit? I'm guessing maybe. I'm going to sit on this for a couple months anyway, so, someone else try it. :D

6. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry 00-16 TiVo Employee

Jul 26, 2005
    Alviso, CA
    Per How do I transfer my TiVo Service to a New DVR? you can transfer the 1-year service from the "old" DVR to another DVR.

One thing to be aware of is that the transfer of Lifetime to the S3 does not happen until after 60 days later. This is to allow enough time for the customer to well get past the 30-day return period (it's not easy to move Lifetime back).

After the Lifetime service has transferred to the S3 (check System Information), you will be able to go to transfer service from the "old" by going to Manage My Account (tivo.com/manage), selecting Change service number from the left navigation bar, and following the on-screen prompts.

7. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    I just ordered the Series 3 from Tivo and purchased the 3 yr for $299. How/when do I transfer my lifetime on my old Series 2? Is it too late?

8. shaown

shaown Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Can I buy from Best Buy and still pay the 199 for Lifetime Transfer?
    Thanks,
    -Shaown

9. ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Not according to the Ts & Cs of the www.Tivo.com/VIP web site.

10. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    So what is the account status for the S3 within the first 60 days?

11. TiVoJerry

Jul 26, 2005
    Alviso, CA

First 60 days:
    S3 will be in Service State 3
    Old DVR will be in Service State 5

After 60 days, they swap service states automatically.

12. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    After 12 months, can we get the multi-service discount on our old box? (aka today's 6.95/month price)

13. fergiej

fergiej More hair, less 30lb

Oct 9, 2002
    Atlanta
    Does the old machine have to have called in anytime recently? I have a really old S1 from '99 that has not been used since I went Sat back in 2000. I have lifetime on it. Will they balk if it hasn't called in in 5 or 6 years? I still have it and it still probably works, I just haven't had the need to use it.

14. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    It's still a lifetimed machine, so it should work. But why not let it call in anyway? That way, there will be no question.

I thought the only "limit" to lifetime was that it had to call in at least every 6 months to qualify other units on the account for the multi service discount.

15. TiVoJerry

Jul 26, 2005
    Alviso, CA
    TydalForce, I don't see why the old unit would not qualify for MSD once the year of free service ends.

fergiej, I do not believe the old unit would have to call within the last 6 months in order to allow the service to be transferred. That requirement is only necessary to keep MSD. But if your Lifetime service was started in '99, you would qualify for the onetime transfer of the service without a fee (search forums for posts around "grandfather clause").

16. fergiej

fergiej More hair, less 30lb

Oct 9, 2002
    Atlanta
    Well, Carp. I thought it was '99, but, alas it was 2001. oh, well.