1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.5TB Seagate "Green" HDD for $49 AR at CompUSA

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by GoEagles, Oct 16, 2012.

1. GoEagles

GoEagles New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Looking to upgrade the capacity of your TiVo Premiere? This might be the item for you:

Seagate 1.5TB Green Drive for $49

It's only $49 AR and a similar deal like this was posted before and the drive was $80 AR, so it's a good deal to to from 320GB/500GB --> 1.5TB.

Hope this helps someone.
  2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

:eek::eek::eek: WOW!! I haven't seen prices like that in along time.

I think I'll pick one up.
  3. HockeyFan

HockeyFan Guest

Oct 9, 2010
    Looks good. 5900rpm is quick & quiet. 21 decibel standby. / 23dec. Writing.
    Good price.

Can TiVo use a USB powered external or just esata. That would be even greener .

EDIT: thought you were talking about external.
  4. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I will grab one also. Wanted 2 but the rebate is only for one
  5. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Watch out, it's a Seagate which others have had issues with in Tivos, and it's 6GB/sec transfer which has also caused issues.
  6. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    I used a Seagate Green 1.5TB in a Premiere with no issues. Pulled it out of an external drive that I got on sale for cheap a few months ago.
  7. abqdan

abqdan New Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I've used a number of seagate drives over the years - all failed or caused problems. I wouldn't buy another from this company. YMMV
  8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Yes, I'm using around twenty five Seagate 2TB drives in my WHS and unRAID. So far they have been basically flawless the last couple of years.
    And the rest of my Drives are WD drives in my unRAIDs and WHS. They are three years old and have been without issue as well.
  9. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston Suburb, MA
    Hmm this speed drive mixed in a NAS with 7200 drives probably wouldn't be the best idea right?

Was thinking of picking up one for a backup drive, but not sure w/ the speed
  10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

The speed is fine from my unRAID boxes with the Seagate 5900 rpm drives. I get 90MB/s(720Mb/s) to 110MB/s(880Mb/s) transfer rates over my LAN. While my 7200 rpm Hitachi drives can get slightly faster than 110MB/s transfer rates over my LAN. And my WD Green drives get 80MB/s(640Mb/s) to 100MB/s(800Mb/s) transfer rates.
  11. haplo888

haplo888 New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    These green hdds tend not to be your standard 7200rpms. Some use the term 'IntelliPower' where RPMs specs are typically listed to hide that they are lower RPMs.
  12. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Seagate...no thanks. Thumbs down. Western digital or don't bother.
  13. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    They're all the same now, maker doesn't matter. If it works, I don't care who's on the label.
  14. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Aug 25, 2010

You will when your TiVo HD craps out a few months or a year later after install. I used to be the same way until my CPU hard drives kept crashing every other year...the crashed ones were maxtors and sea gates.
  15. Ky_Shag

Ky_Shag Shaggy Dog

Jan 26, 2012
    Well when this thread came out i bought one.
    Used JMFS on it copied stock drive to it.
    Worked fine 218 HD hours.
    The Next Morning Tivo Starting UP screen greeted me.
    Ran Sea tools failed test Code ACADD548.
    Made a claim waiting on new drive.