1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘Real World’ star Joey Kovar dead at 29

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ncsercs, Aug 17, 2012.

1. ncsercs

ncsercs DirecTivo fan.......

May 5, 2001
    Hinsdale, IL
  2. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Sad, but not surprising. I watched his season of The Real World and his season of Celebrity Rehab.

The thing I remember most about him on Celebrity Rehab was him bawling his eyes out about how his mother RUINED his life because she wouldn't buy him contacts in 6th grade and he had to wear glasses. What kind of monster is she?

3. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    I don't think I was back watching Real World when he was on.

4. theraven146

theraven146 New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Did you guys know that he entered 30 day rehabilitation for Drug and Alcohol abuse during the Real World season? The paper also reported that both of Kovar’s parents “struggled with drug and alcohol abuse.” It is really difficult to lead a normal life when both the parents are struggling with drugs. It had to have an influence on him.

5. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I quit watching The Real World right around that season, but I did see that season. It's really sad, though I can't say I'm surprised. I remember thinking that he was a real mess while watching that season. That environment can't have helped him much either.

6. sburnside1

sburnside1 New Member

Jan 28, 2009
    If I recall right, he was only 6 weeks out of rehab before entering the Real World: Hollywood house. I only remember because I was thinking the casting director had to be a dbag to put that much temptation in the face of a recovering addict that was fresh out of rehab.

7. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Wasn't that addressed directly, sort of a "plot point" on the show? I seem to remember that. He left and came back.

8. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    The way I remember it, he had never been to rehab before Real World. But RW has certainly cast people they knew were unstable. The current season has Brandon who had only been sober a few months before starting the show.