1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘Civilization: The West and the Rest,’ on PBS

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, May 22, 2012.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
  2. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Just watched this. VERY well done. Plausible explanations as to why Western civilization in general and "British America" (North America) in particular have ascended to global domination while China, the Ottomans, and Latin America foundered.

However, the frequent "killer app" allusions are going to become very dated very quickly. :D

3. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Thanks for the heads up.

4. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    I heard the title and immediately thought of the 1985 BBC documentary series "The Triumph of the West". Dr. Roberts final evidence for the triumph was that the West's competitors (i.e. China, USSR) were using political/economic structures based on philosophies that originated in Europe.

Earlier this year, NPR did a story about elections in Burma. A government official, speaking in his native language, explained how the election were "fair and free". The "fair and free" expession in English popped out of the rest of the guy's incomprehensible Burmese. Fair and free elections were apparently part of thier political discourse, but did the mass of people voting know what those words meant? (Do Americans know that laissez faire means?)

5. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I do. There may not be a totally translatable concept of fair and free in the Burmese language. In Chinese liberty is translated closer to license.

6. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    Guide fail! My TiVo thinks tonights episode was first aired 5/22/2012, though it looks like it is part 2 of 2.

7. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I watched part 1, but I thought he spent way too much time on why China and the Arabs DIDN'T get power and not enough time on why they west got power. It seemed to me, at least how I saw it, that it was more a failure by the East than a triumph of the West that lead to it's leadership. Maybe he'll cover more of that in Part 2.